Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chainmaille?

So, midway through the class, I'm changing my project. I've decided that I can't learn to play the violin within the allotted timeframe; my work schedule doesn't leave me with enough free time. However, I can expand upon a project I already know something about: designing chainmaille jewelry.

The art of making chainmaille goes back for centuries, and while it was originally used as armour it has of late become used in jewerlry making.The same patterns are used, with lighter-weight jump rings, to create bracelets, necklaces, and rings.

It's a fairly simple project- I will be demonstrating various patterns of increasing difficulty, expressed through the medium of jewelry. I will present them to the class, along with a history of the art and further explanations of the patterns and how they are used.

1 comment:

  1. Nice introduction. Next class please develop a proposal and have Bruce sign it!

    ReplyDelete