Thursday, May 5, 2011

Update - 5/5/11- Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Even though that has nothing to do with chainmaille whatsoever, haha. Anyway, I've taken the time to go through the limited supply of jump rings and tools that I already have at home, and "limited" really is the best term for it at this point. While I may want to order more colorful niobium jump rings for later projects, I think I will have to go to Michael's this weekend to purchase some simple silver-tone ones similar to what I already have in stock. They are not the best quality, but they will suffice for the European 4-in-1 pattern that I will be demonstrating first.

These are the jump rings from the Michael's website:
These, however, are my preference to work with- higher quality rings made out of bright aluminum, anodized aluminum, or anodized niobium. They are more expensive, but easier to work with and they hold up better over time. Also, I personally think they just happen to look nicer:

When the time comes, I will be ordering these from http://www.candtdesigns.com/, a site I have ordered from in the past and have had great experiences with. However, I think I will also have to take the time to stop into another store, located in downtown Milford, called "Manifest Beads". I don't know much about the place, but I've heard that they have a pretty nice selection of bead and metalworking items, and that they also teach classes in both subjects. If it isn't too costly, I might even be able to take a class or two there to help in my learning new patterns.

1 comment:

  1. A well-written, informative post with several relevant references. We'd like you to put in the voki from last class's assignment, please.

    ReplyDelete